Downtown Moultrie is not just a pretty city center; it really is the vibrant heart of our town. We have lots of fantastic businesses and restaurants, a lively community feeling, and lots of great opportunities to get outdoors and enjoy fantastic downtown events all year 'round.
In the Spring, our central downtown event is the annual Spring Fling & Backyard BBQ Festival!
This year's Spring Fling is super-sized and PACKED with fun for the whole family! Here are our 10 not-to-miss activities this weekend in Downtown Moultrie:
- Cirque de la Plage on Friday night. Taking over downtown's outdoor amphitheater and beyond, this "Circus of the Beach" will be a fantastic spectacle of acrobats and more. This event is FREE, and starts at 8:00pm. (Arrive early to dine downtown, and get the best parking!)
- The Downtown BEACH. You read right… the downtown section of South Main will be transformed into a sandy beach this weekend! Be sure to be there at 12:15 on Saturday for a beach party! Complete with beach music, dancing, beach balls, and more.
- Delicious foods downtown! When you're feeling hungry, you don't have to look far for great food options! For the first time, The Square Restaurant will be offering handy to-go portions of many of our picnic favorites, like our smoky pimento cheese, boiled peanut hummus, chicken salad, salads-to-go, fruit cups, and more! Just look for the tent in front of our building! Of course, no Spring Fling would be complete without some Frozen Yogurt from Family Ties. Also, look for the food trucks for traditional carnival foods!
- The Amphitheater Stage ALL day. Find a comfortable seat at the amphitheater and settle in for a lot of great entertainment starting at 9:00am. Lots of live music, dancing, awards, and more! <--- Follow this link for the schedule of events.
Everything for kids! Kids are in for a great day on Saturday! Look for:
-Bubbleland area sponsored by Baell Mercantile
-Sea Mobile, an interactive marine exhibit including 5 touch tanks with beautiful sea life from the Gulf of Mexico, 7 aquariums, and even microscopes so that little scientists can discover the tiniest marine creatures!
-FREE kids' crafts by Moultrie Service League, Moultrie Junior Women's club & Lowes.
-Pet parade presented by the Moultrie Humane Society
-YMCA Healthy Kids Day activities, encouraging kids to get active and have fun.
-Train rides, rock wall climbing, jumpy houses, stilt walkers, and much more!
Downtown Farmer's Market. This is farm country, after all! Bring your shopping basket and enjoy browsing through fresh, local produce, food crafts, and gifts.
- TASTE the BBQ competition. Every year, Spring Fling attendees get to smell that amazing BBQ cooking, but never got to taste… until this year! This year, for just $5, anyone can sample and vote for their favorite BBQ over in the Civitan Club's BBQ Taster's Choice Tent.
- Explore the Arts. Don't miss the Arts Center's fascinating art demonstrations, glass blowing, and an art school juried art competition.
- MUSIC! Moultrie is one musical city, and this year's South Main Street Stage will keep music lovers dancing and singing along all day, starting at 8:45am. Look for the Beans & Strings Students, Elle Perryman, PB & Jam, Waylon & Ryan, the 1st Methodist Band, Daniel Parrish, and then the outdoor concerts culminate with a performance with the incredible Maggie Koerner at 2:30. Don't miss Maggie, she's coming here all the way from New Orleans!
But the music doesn't stop in the afternoon! At 8:30PM, Maggie will give an encore acoustic performance inside of The Square Restaurant, and Naturally Southern will be playing inside of T.Halls starting at 9:00.
- Great downtown deals. This year, don't forget to explore the great shopping in Downtown Moultrie. Many of our downtown stores will be open, and offering fantastic deals, so come on in!